Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Month 10: No TV

No tv for one month - at first it felt like a punishment.

When we decided on no television for the entire month of May, the first thing I did was check the calendar to make sure I wasn't missing any major sporting events. Basketball... check; Football... check; Baseball... check. All clear.

Oops, forgot about the Sharks in the playoffs. Unfortunately and fortunately, I did miss the Sharks. But I think I am a saner person as a result.

But, Jen and I decided that we have gotten into a routine of putting the kids to bed, heading downstairs and turning on the TV and subsequently 'vegging out' for the night. This was a great opportunity to re-connect with each other, and try to be more productive.

I have to say this was another challenge that was easier than I thought. Thanks to DVR and the internet, I really didn't miss anything other than the Sharks. And, there were a couple of times we happened to be at dinner while a game was on so if my eyeballs strayed, I couldn't help it.

During the month, I did do some household chores that I had been stalling on, probably read more too. In addition, I got addicted to Words with Friends on my iPhone and used that to replace some TV time. The tough thing is that after a long day of work and spending time with the kids, we actually needed some time to veg out.

Long term, we are trying to institute at least one night a week where we do not turn the tv on. With the sports scene ramping up, it's a little bit harder, but of course I'll live!

No comments:

Post a Comment